- 1488 tons
- built by Barclay, Curle & Co. Ltd., Glasgow
- launched 24 May 1876
- 3 masted ship
- length 72.5m, breadth 11.8m
Argonaut‘s first owner was A. & J. Carmichael, Greenock. Golden Fleece Line. She was sold in 1898 to Ferreira of Portugal and renamed Elvira. In 1913 she was renamed again Argo.
During her working life she was used as a wool clipper, and on 23 March 1917 was sunk by scuttling charges from German submarine U-46.
James Harrison Scott sailed on the Argonaut, 26 June 1886 – 5 June 1887
External link – photos to be copied